An Introduction to Shipping MARKET FUNDAMENTALS
Tuesday 8 March 2022 ~ All-day Course
Delegate Rate: £350
Location: Almas 1 & 2 Meeting Rooms
Over the past two years, freight rates have experienced massive volatility and this trend looks set to continue across 2022 – and who can predict how high the trajectory will go for container shipping rates?
In a new and timely one-day course, expert shipping analyst Mark Williams, MD of Shipping Strategy Limited, will explain shipping market fundamentals by introducing the main concepts in modelling physical shipping markets, including how to measure and report supply and demand. Delegates will also gain an understanding of how to model freight rates using supply and demand and how to model freight rates using econometrics.
This course comprises four 90-minute sessions with interactive exercises and group discussions.
Students will need to bring a laptop/tablet with internet access.
08:00 - 09:00 Course Registration & Coffee
09:00 - Course to Commence
- Ship Types and Markets
- Container Shipping
- Dry Bulk
- Oil and Gas Tankers
- Passenger, Ferry, and RoRo
10:30 - 10:45 Coffee Break
- How to Earn and Lose Money Operating a Ship
- Who employs these ships?
- Chartering: time, voyage, bareboat and variations
- Price discovery: the role of the ship broker
- Who pays what expenses?
- Derivatives as risk management
12:30 - 13:30 Lunch Break
- Ship Finance 101
- Who owns these ships anyway?
- The ship’s life cycle from newbuilding to recycling
- How to finance a ship – mortgages and alternatives
- How to finance a fleet – debt, equity and alternatives
- Poseidon Principles and credit risk
15:45 - 16:00 Coffee Break
- The IMO Rules the Waves: Making Shipping Safe
- The role of the IMO and its main conventions
- The role of flag states and the special role of the EU
- The role of class societies, shipping associations and NGOs
- The role of insurers
- Shipping and the environment
17:30 End Course
Managing Director, Shipping Strategy Ltd.
Mark Williams is founder and Managing Director of Shipping Strategy Ltd, a boutique management consultancy based in the UK which focuses providing data-driven actionable insights on maritime and energy industries to clients including governments and regulators, ship owners, investors and charterers, trading houses and other actors in and around the shipping industry.
Mark is also Contributing Editor of Ship.Energy, the leading free-to-view website covering shipping’s path to zero carbon, and presenter of the popular Ship.Energy podcast.
He is a founder of Diversity Study Group, a peer benchmarking service for HR professionals in the shipping and energy industries. He is a Course Director at Lloyd’s Maritime Academy where he teaches on Shipping Markets Analysis and ESG in Shipping.
Mark has 25 years’ experience in ship finance, broking and consultancy with companies like Informa, HSBC and Braemar Seascope. He is a Member of the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers.